You may have heard of bamboo and eucalyptus being eco-friendly materials, but have you discovered wheat straw as a sustainable alternative?
What is wheat straw?
Wheat straw is an environmentally friendly alternative to plastic. It comes from the byproduct leftover from a wheat harvest – the dry stalk residue found after the grain is harvested. Common straw is typically a waste product, but throughout the years we have found additional uses for it, such as animal feed, bedding, thatched roofs, and now an alternative to plastic.
How is wheat straw made?
Basically, different components of the wheat straw are broken down to create polymers. These polymers are naturally formed, in contrast to plastic polymers which are artificially created. The polymers form a plastic-like substance which can mold into items like promotional cups, plates and straws.
Wheat Straw Features
- Wheat straw is non-allergenic, BPA free, and meets FDA requirements, so it is safe for everyone.
- There are no toxins added to increase the strength of this material, the natural fibers make it strong and sturdy.
- These items are microwave and freezer safe, and can handle hot liquids up to around 200°F.
- Wheat straw will not trap odors or produce mold.
- The products created from wheat straw are also premium food grade.
Benefits of Wheat Straw
- Wheat straw is fully biodegradable.
- It takes less energy to produce than traditional plastic since it is a natural substance.
- The material can be melted down to make new products again and again.
- Wheat farmers can sell the byproducts for an additional source of income.
Is wheat straw gluten free?
In short: Yes! Although the name contains the word “wheat,” wheat straw does not contain any grain, and therefore no gluten. So if you have a gluten allergy, no worries– you can safely use and reuse these gluten-free items.
Sustainable Promotional Products
Wheat straw has become more and more popular because of its ability to create promotional products in an eco-friendly way. Check out our top 3 customizable promos made from wheat straw:
Upgrade your heavy ceramic mug to a light weight biodegradable wheat mug. These are microwave-safe…incase you need to reheat after one too many morning interruptions. They also offer a nice size imprint area to screen print your company’s logo on.
Bring your drink on the go – hot or cold – in this sustainable custom tumbler. You have two custom location options to print your artwork on: the tumbler itself or on the colored band.
Whether you are on a quest to save our oceans or trying to reduce unnecessary waste, a portable customized straw kit is the best way to set a green example, while getting your brand name out into the world.
Want to browse more green and reusable promotional items? Shop all of Executive Advertising’s eco-friendly custom products on our website today.